Captain Misa’s building.This building was built in the period from 1858-1863 as a private palace of Misa Anastasijevic, the “Danube captain” and the richest man in Serbia of the time. Its designer was a Czech Jan Nevole, and the palace was given to the Serbian people for educational and cultural purposes. Today it contains the Rectorate of Belgrade University. Prior to the Rectorate, in this building were located the Ministry of Education, Higher School (predecessor of the University), First Belgrade Gymnasium, National Museum, gallery, and Library.
The architecture intertwines different styles, influences and cultures such as Renaissance and Romanticism.