Sremski Karlovci stood as the cultural, political and religious centre of the Serbian people in the Austro-Hungarian Empire for two full centuries.
The Palace of the Patriarchy with iconostases containing paintings by Uroš Predić, the First Serbian Gimnasium, the Orthodox Cathedral containing several paintings by Paja Jovanović, the Four Lions baroque fountain and many other important monuments date from this period. The Chapel of Peace is located on the hill above the town, where the Karlovac Peace of 1699 was signed between Austria, Poland and Venice on the one hand and Turkey on the other.
This peaceful Vojvodina town, often described as a museum in the open, attracts numerous tourists every year. The fertile vineyards of Fruška Gora yield the best wines and many local restaurants offer various fresh-water fish specialties with this divine drink. Located some sixty kilometres north of Belgrade, Sremski Karlovci may be reached by the Novi Sad highway or the local road through Inđija. The most interesting way to travel is certainly the Romantika museum train, which departs from the Belgrade Railway Station each Saturday. Train coaches date back to the beginning of 20th century, and travellers may visit several vine cellars and the major cultural and historic offers of the city.
Get direction to Sremski Karlovci