Cathedral Church and Patriarchy of Serbian Orthodox Church
Church of St. Michael Archangel is situated in the old town center across from the Serbian Patriarchate. Built in 1837-1840 on the request of Mihailo Obrenovic and today is one of the most important shrines of the Serbian people. The main architect was Adam Friedrich Kwerfeld. The interior of the church is richly decorated. Gilded iconostasis were made by the sculptor Dimitrije Petrović while the icons on the iconostasis, throne, and pulpit were made by Dimitrije Avramovic, one of the foremost painters of Serbia in 19th century. The church also contains relics of the king Uros and despot Stefan as well as tombs of church leaders and Serbian rulers of the Obrenovic dynasty. Infront of the main portal two great men of Serbian culture are buried: Vuk Karadzic and Dositej Obradovic.
The building of the today’s Patriarchate was built between 1934 and 1935 by the architect Viktor Lukomski. The building also houses a library and museum of the Serbian Orthodox Church.