The idea of building a monumental Orthodox church in Belgrade dates from the late 19th century. In 1926, after several competitions, the architectural design of Bogdan Nestorović was accepted. Construction was interrupted in 1941 due to beginning of the World War II. Years later, as a result of the bombing and neglect of the government at the time, continuing construction was under question.
Finally, in 1985, Patriarch German claimed the Charter of the further continuation of works at the Temple. For Archpriest, was appointed Professor Branko Pesic. In addition to the magnificent temple, there is a small Church of Saint Sava, originally built in the 18th century (at the place where four centuries before, the relics of St. Sava were burned). The church has repeatedly been burned and destroyed over the years, but was rebuilt each time.
St. Sava is the largest Orthodox structure in the Balkans and one of the biggest Orthodox churches in the world.